The 2009 WI Sustainable Business Council Conference was held December 3, 2009 at Discovery World in Milwaukee.
Many other states have developed “sustainable business networks” or “sustainable business councils.” These groups act as support groups for businesses that are struggling to figure out what to do. This conference continues the manifestation of Wisconsin’s need for a coordinating group for business in the sustainability area.
Sustainable businesses take full account of the environmental and social consequences of economic activity and use resources that are renewable, replaceable or regenerative. Businesses can reduce waste, improve efficiencies, and increase employee productivity, all of which decrease operating costs and increase margins. Our goal is to establish Wisconsin as a home for businesses from all sectors with an interest in sustainability.
The students who organized this conference kept a well-documented group of videos and even took the time to chronologically list each separate presentation. Please take a moment to learn where we were in 2009 and click on any of our sponsor’s logos at the bottom of the page to see where they are now.
2009 Annual Conference Agenda
7:30-8:00 Arrival and Registration 8:00-8:45 Introduction and Keynote Address (Video)
- Joel Brennan – President and CEO, Discovery World
- Jeff Niesen – VP Construction Management, Boldt Company
- Tom Eggert – Director, Wisconsin Sustainable Business Council
9:30-9:55 Morning Break and Networking
- Tom Barrett – Mayor of Milwaukee
10:25-11:05 Sustainability and Our Food Systems (Video)
- Will Allen – CEO, Growing Power
11:20-12:15 Break-out sessions
- John Mourand – Corporate Manager of Environmental & Energy Services, Briggs & Stratton Corporation
- Bill Mitchell – Executive Director/COO, WCEDC
Water and Sustainability (Video)
- Mike Jones – VP-Corporate Affairs, MillerCoors
1:15-2:15 Break-out sessions
- Steve Matheys – EVP/Chief Administrative Officer, Schneider National
- Clay Nesler – VP Global Energy and Sustainability, Johnson Controls
- Chris Librie – Director of Global Environment and Safety, SC Johnson
- Charles Bartels – Director, Global Social Responsibility and Knowledge Sharing, Manpower
- Rita Hayen – ATC
- Mike Stahl – Tech Manager, Frito Lay
3:15-3:45 Afternoon break and Networking time
- Jeff Neubauer – Chairman and CEO, Kranz Inc.
- Robert Israel – Johnson Diversey
- Morgan Wiswall – Purchasing Manager, Menasha Packaging Company
5:00-5:30 Reception and Networking time