Thanks to All Who Attended!
On April 29th, 2015 the WI Sustainable Business Council, in partnership with Cool Choices and the WI Manufacturing Extension Partnership presented the second annual Earth Day Workshop and Sustainable Business Celebration! The morning workshop focused on the development and use of sustainability metrics, followed by the Earth Day Sustainable Business Awards Ceremony over lunch. This year’s event was held at Briggs & Stratton’s Corporate Headquarters in Wauwatosa.
The morning workshop featured presentations on the development of sustainability metrics, the collection of data, the transformation of data into information, and the use of sustainability information to shape the behavior of business. The panelists were Dolores Corcoran from Lauterbach Group talking about integrating reporting requirements into a single system, Jon Raymond of Kikkoman talking about automating the information gathering process, Mandy Goetsch from InPro talking about understanding metrics to meet requirements, and Pam Barker, formerly with Appvion, talking about unifying and prioritizing metrics for senior managers.
The panel was followed by in-depth group discussions among attendees and panel facilitators about what information is important to gather, and what to do with the information when you have it. Leaders from companies at all levels of experience in sustainability had the opportunity to discuss their trials and successes amongst one another, share ideas and future plans, and exchange information on helpful resources. The Earth Day Workshop provided a unique platform for business people from all across Wisconsin to network and learn from each other in a live open forum that left attendees with more than enough to think about and start implementing within their own companies.
Earth Day Business Sustainability Award 2015 Recipients
The Earth Day Business Sustainability Awards are designed to recognize businesses for their efforts in developing innovative products, processes, and business models. The 2015 winners are as follows:
Sustainability Process of the Year:
Sustainability Process of the Year- Small Business:
New Glarus Brewing Company
Sustainability Product of the Year:
Sustainability Product of the Year- Small Business:
Spring Green Timber Growers
Sustainability Leader of the Year:
Matt Levatich, CEO of Harley-Davidson
Sustainability Leader of the Year- Small Business:
Will Allen, CEO of Growing Power
7:45 – Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 – Opening Remarks: Tom Eggert, WI Sustainable Business Council
8:45 – Welcome and Overview of Sustainability at Briggs & Stratton: Marv Klowak, VP-Research & Development
9:00 – Panel:
- Dolores Corcoran (Lauterbach Group) – Integration: integrating ISO 9000, 14000, 18000 and industry specific reporting requirements into a single reporting system
- Jon Raymond (Kikkoman) – Automation: automating the gathering of information and the challenges involved
- Mandy Goetsch (InPro) – Product Declaration: understanding, developing and using the necessary metrics to meet EPD and HPD requirements
- Pam Barker (formerly with Appvion) – talking about how to unify and prioritize metrics for senior managers
10:00 – Break
10:20 – Panel Discussion:
- This consisted of more in-depth discussion among the attendees (split into groups and assigned facilitators) about what information is important to gather, and what to do with the information when you have it.
11:45 – Lunch
12:45 – Earth Day Business Sustainability Award Presentations
1:00 – Closing Remarks: Tom Eggert, WI Sustainable Business Council